Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sick Days!

Here's a update on Elle. . .

. . .she woke up with a nasty fever on Friday morning (104.5). This was after two weeks of antibiotics for an ear infection. We took her to Paoli Hospital's ER, but they sent her home after a quick once-over. As the day progressed, Elle refused to eat, wouldn't sleep, continued to run a high temp, and was just plain miserable! At our pediatricians request, we took her to AI Dupont Children's Hospital in Delaware. We spent a total of 10 hours in the ER. They ran multiple tests. . .the poor little bear had to suffer through IV's, catheters, needle sticks, and x-rays. It was a pretty bad experience for everyone involved. . . especially Elle.

Not all of the test results are in, but it is clear from the blood work that she has a nasty infection (most likely a virus, but they gave her IV antibiotics as a precaution, as well as some fluids since she was dehydrated). Initial blood tests showed that her white blood cell count was extremely high (signaling an infection), but we will need to wait a few days for the blood cultures to come back.

We are home now and Elle is slowly progressing. Her temperature has returned to normal, but she is restless (not sleeping well) and will still not take a bottle. She screams every time we try to give her one. The doctors had noted swollen tonsils (very rare in an infant), which prompted them to test for mono. A sore throat is probably why she is refusing to suck. We have been able to get her to eat baby yogurt, peaches, and applesauce. I've also given her water with an eye dropper, which she will take.

Thanks to all the family and friends who have called to check on her. Your concern has meant a lot to Shawn and I . We will keep you updated on how she's doing. Please keep her in your prayers, and pray she gets well soon. I know I will feel so much better when she starts eating again, giggling, and flashing that adorable smile of hers.

All our Love,
Adriane & Shawn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! I hope she feels better soon. Uncle James and I send our love and lots of kisses!